9th graders tour BCTC

Lilly Gibson – 9

Berks Career and Technology Center, also known as BCTC, is a program where students can get an early start on a profession. BCTC offers 35 different programs, all categorized into seven career clusters. In the beginning of October the 9th graders took field trips to the BCTC east and west campuses, looking at programs they might be interested in joining for the 2024 to 2025 school year. 

Alannah Poulos, a 9th grader, went to BCTC to see the early childhood education program. Students learn to take care of, teach, and help children when they start school. Alannah thought the tour she was given was very helpful. “I think touring the BCTC campuses helped me to learn more about what I wanted to go for and give me a better understanding,” said Alannah. At BCTC not only can students learn how to perfect a skill, but they can also get certified as well, in programs in air conditioning, construction technology, collision repair, and welding.

Sheila Kern, also a 9th grader, took a tour of the carpentry and cabinetry sections at BCTC. Carpentry is the construction, repair, and installation of building frameworks and structures made from wood and other materials. Cabinetry is the work on the finer details, such as bookcases, nightstands, and the trim on doorways and archways. Sheila said, “I think I will attend BCTC because it offers more to me. It has a direct pathway to what I want to do and it gives credits meaning I will already have experience and be above the playing field when I leave high school.” This is true for BCTC. While a student works through a program, they are already racking up college credits. This helps when it comes time for college, meaning they could only do a two year tuition instead of a four year. Another good thing about BCTC is that students do not have to make up the classes they miss by going. The time spent and grades they get on their report card come directly from BCTC. 

If students are looking for a way to get ahead of the game, Berks Career and Technology Center is a great place to start. Many students recommend it as a great way to start off. To learn more about BCTC and its offered programs, go to the official website, berkscareer.com