Students discuss favorite dog breeds

Dogs are wonderful companions and make for some of arguably the best pets. Many students have been asked to state their favorite dog breed and why, and many of them have come to the conclusion that they prefer that certain breed because of its familiarity. Students tend to prefer dog breeds that they grew up with rather than a dream breed because it is more comfortable. Dogs also can help their owners do certain things and are great learners. Some canines also go to work too. Many breeds help mentally disabled or challenged individuals as well as physical. People have resorted to their loveable dogs as emotional support animals. Those who experience anxiety, ptsd, or depression disorders can acquire a doggy assistant to help them along the way. Some dogs are even trained to sniff out their owners allergens in certain food products, and some of the best sniffers can track traces of other humans for miles away, or smell as deep to diagnose someone with cancer. Dogs are amazing and can do amazing things.

Students shared they associate dog breed with personality. For example, if someone loves Golden Retrievers, they may be deemed as the playful and outgoing type, just like a retriever!

Junior Skylynn Binder states, “I love Chihuahuas. They’re so small and cute, especially when they are puppies. I didn’t grow up with any particular breed, but a lot of people I grew up with had smaller dogs. I find them easy to take care of, since they don’t eat much or need much space.”

Junior Alyssa Brensinger states differently, “I love pitbulls. I grew up with them and besides everything you hear in the media about pitbulls, they are sweethearts. I believe that no domesticated dog has aggressive tendencies. It’s the people that trained them that let that behavior progress, or reward certain behaviors that make the dog feel like it’s okay. Yes, this is a higher maintenance breed, but once you bond with them, you’ll never want a different breed.”

In conclusion, opinions on breeds differ. Each dog has its own unique personality and quirks. But more importantly, adopt and do not shop. Please stop the demand for backyard breeding and seek adoptions from local shelters, especially shelters who cannot afford to keep many dogs housed, and are named kill shelters. Improper breeding leads to dogs with mental disorders and disabilities. Many dogs who have been rehomed several times, or dogs left in the shelter would love a proper home. 

Please seek the links below to local shelters that readers may donate to, help out, or rescue! https://humanepa.org/ https://berksarl.org/ https://www.hillsidespca.com/