HAHS hosts the first football game of the season

On Friday August 25 at 7pm, Hamburg Area High School hosted the first football game of the season against Halifax. Just like every other home game, there was a fun theme. Students, teachers and parents could be seen decked out in their Hawaiian gear, for the Hawaiian theme. In addition to everyone dressing up, Student Council was also selling leis for one dollar each, for those needing or wanting to show some fun school spirit. One of this year’s sophomores at HAHS, Tia Adam, bought another lei in addition to the one she already had. She thought the Hawks played well and is hopeful for many wins to come. 

The game concluded with the Hamburg Hawks’ first big win of the season, with a score of 49-19. John Sharp, a sophomore on the football team, said “It feels great to win our home opener.” He also thinks that the team will “continue to improve and get better week by week.” 

In addition to the actual football part of the game, there is also the marching band part. Fun music can be heard while watching the game to get everyone excited. Riley Mohn, a sophomore, explains playing with the marching band at the game as, “very exciting and very loud in order to get people excited for the end of the game.” Her favorite part is getting to talk to the other band. She enjoys playing many different games and they are always looking for new members and so is color guard. If anyone is interested in marching band, Riley will also be writing an article on some of her experiences.

Cheer is also a fun part of the game. The cheer team dances to a bunch of the songs that the band plays, so in a way the two activities are intertwined. The cheer team enjoys performing “Pirates of the Caribbean,” “Shut up and Dance,” and “Hey Baby.” Maddie Handwerk, a sophomore and cheerleader at HAHS said that her personal favorite songs are “Land of a Thousand Dances,” and “Tequila.”