Students discuss opinions

Isabella Forte

Students across the world have either had a first hand encounter or an experience of rumor-spreading and harsh commentary at least once in their school career. There is no doubt that conflicting opinions among hundreds of students will cause disagreement towards peers. Yet, most of us have also taken part in gossiping or rumor spreading without even identifying it as that. It is human to have opinions, likes, and dislikes. 

However, teachers and adults must start to “crack down” on these types of behaviors. Within the years, there has been much more bullying especially due to social media. It is ten times easier to talk about someone through an electronic barrier rather than face to face now, which makes it easier for people to even make anonymous accounts just to harass certain people. Technology and app developers have even made apps that consist of anonymous people leaving comment chains. Yes, these can be seriously helpful when used the proper way, but teens and even adults have found a way to make these simple apps someone’s worst nightmare. Most people do not even think to consider the consequences of their actions. It is believed amongst people that have experienced this harassment that the majority of people do not think about other people’s lives. Many claim that they were hurt over something they could not control. It is disgusting and infuriating. It should be something left out of a learning environment. Learning is one of the best gifts that the human brain can obtain, and for someone to lose the will to learn just because someone ruined their school life is disheartening. Students feel that some teachers overlook this behavior a ton. Some students even express that teachers tend to favor the popular students, making it seem easier to bias with one side of the story rather than the other. It is always mentioned to “put yourself in someone else’s shoes”, but if someone could see deeper than just a school life, they would see family complications, a lost job, a dead relative, a mental illness, someone who even has to live in a car because they physically cannot even afford a household. To think that someone could pick on someone for things they break themselves down for is excruciating.