Students visit Kutztown for journalism

Hannah Kristiniak

On Wednesday, April 12, eight students in the Publications class visited Kutztown University to learn more about journalism. Students and adviser, Mrs. McCarthy, departed from the high school right after homeroom and remained at Kutztown the entire school day. Hamburg Area High School was the only school in Berks county to attend this event. There were a variety of sessions that students could attend that all focused on journalism, but varied on topics like news reporting, sports broadcasting, and ethics. Lunch and a tour of the school was provided and students arrived back at school around 3:15 in the afternoon.

As a student of the Publications class who has really enjoyed it, I was very excited to attend an event like this. I had a very good experience and I would love to go to another event like this if the opportunity came up. Since my experience mostly involves the newspaper and written journalism, I was very interested in learning more about live news reporting. I learned so many new things and I am so glad I went.

Grace, a sophomore who attended this event, has been in publications for almost two full school years. When she heard of this event happening, she knew she would like to go. She says, “I really did enjoy it because it was a good learning experience and students going into journalism would be inspired by this,” she also adds, “The program that they put together was really nice.” One thing Grace took away from this is how to be a good interviewer as she attended a session that focused on that topic. Her favorite part was the tour of the school and she did not expect how big the university is. When asked if she would attend another similar event Grace replied with, “I would definitely go again.”