Students predict first snowfall

Bethany Stufflet

Recently some students at Hamburg Area High School predicted when the first snowfall would be. Now that it is closer to winter time and Christmas, we can see the result of whose guess was the closest. On December 11, the first snow fell. It was not snow that laid but it still snowed. There were only two people that got very close, no one guessed the exact date. Allie Houck and Vinny Heckman were very close but one of them was closer. Allie Houck guessed December 8, but Vinny Heckman said December 12. Vinny had the closest guess out of everyone that stated their predictions. 

Although we already had a winner, there was still another snowy day. On December 15 it snowed and the school had its first virtual snow day of the 2022-2023 school year. The forecast called for lots of snow, but it ended up turning into rain which made it slushy and icy. If the students had to guess when the first virtual snow day of the year was, the winner would be Mason Gruber with his guess of December 17. 

Looking back on the month of December, one can see how different the forecast actually was compared to if one were to look at it during the beginning of December. The website weather.com shows how the first snow was actually the 11 and it did not snow on the 16. On the 23 it shows how the weather was bad which caused the school to have its first regular snow day. Tia Adam, a freshman, said that she feels we didn’t need to have a snow day because not much happened. Although over the weekend she actually ended up losing power. This winter is very different compared to what our winters usually look like, as proved by AccuWeather. Their maps compare this year’s winter to normal winters and shows that our area had less snow than it usually gets.