Why taking English is important

Danelle Wollyung, Pinnacle Underclassman Editor

According to HAHS teacher Mr. Stephen Haegele, “English is important because it allows students to reach into a creative mindset by incorporating students’ interests into the lessons that are being taught, celebrate student accomplishments, and encourage reflective thinking.” If English was an option, some reasons students would choose to take this class are because they can be open minded, creative, explore nature, and explore characters.

For students that already speak English, they should not have to take this class. On the other hand, students that do not speak English fluently should have the opportunity to take this class to learn the basics about our language.

English class helps with both the fundamentals of communicating in everyday life, as well as enhancing our thoughts and beliefs within society and humanity. Classes generally revolve around reading novels, essays and other forms of literature, and require students to analyze, interpret and dissect written material in order to compare, contrast and discuss elements, like theme, characters and plot. 

Other things that are taught in English class are reading, essay formatting, how to develop essays correctly, how to break down different parts of a paragraph, themes, character, and plots. Skills that are taught in English are reading, listening, writing, and speaking.