Students moving schools

LeeAnn Mills, Hawk Happenings Assistant

Whenever a new student comes to Hamburg, the other students become curious. It is a new person entering the small social bubble of Hamburg, but why do people move? Plenty of student families move due to parents finding a job, getting married, finding a house, or simply wanting to relocate. Census data shows that around 18% of all American school-age kids alter housing situations any given year. It also shows that most kids will switch high schools or districts once before they graduate. 

Lucian Fritchman says he moved to Hamburg because he and his family hated their old house. Jonathan Cabello-Meglar’s family moved for a similar reason because they found a house that met all of their qualifications in Hamburg.

Moving can provide a fresh start and new perspective, but is everything so bright? As far as grades go, research shows that students who switch schools after eighth grade tend to have lower grades in reading and math and an elevated risk of dropping out of high school. The American Medical Association did a study in the 1990s which showed that students who move often are 35% more likely to fail a grade. Another study found that children who switched schools three or four times in their youth were at least 60% more likely to display at least one psychotic symptom. On top of all that students who transferred between grades eight and 12 are described as “twice as likely to not complete high school.”

The exact reason for lower grades and higher dropout rates is unknown, but there could be many factors. When moving to a new district, children lose a lot: their old friends, any club activities, and just the comfort of a familiar place. Any of these things could be a huge factor in why students who transfer struggle. Of course, there can be benefits as well: new friends, new beginnings, and new opportunities.

To make all the move less stressful, here at Hamburg, we have a program called BIONIC. BIONIC stands for believe it or not I care, and this program is responsible for introducing and helping new students as well as incoming freshmen each year. The program was officially started by Mrs. Eshbach last year but has been running a little before that time. Lucian Fritchman says he found the program “pretty nice” for the fact that he knew where his classes were and started his Hamburg school career knowing two faces. 

Research proves moving from one district to another is stressful for students, but research also proves that the move between elementary to middle to high school can be damaging as well. Researchers show evidence that confirms students who attend K-8 schools and only transfer once have greater self-perception and higher grades over systems like Hamburg’s.

For more information visit,

https://www.fractions4kids.com/