Why social studies is important

Danelle Wollyung

Mr. McBreen teaches 10 grade world cultures at Hamburg Area High School. Taking world cultures is something students need to take to be able to graduate in 12th grade. 

It is important because students can get the opportunity to learn about where their families originated from. Taking this class can also teach students the skills needed to always remain well-informed about the past. It is also important because in the future people will want to have jobs such as social studies teacher, counselors, lawyers/judges, police officers, and managers that might require some social studies knowledge.

In general knowing some parts of social studies is a great thing to know for the future.. Social studies gives students the opportunity to develop government, political ideas, country economy and resources, and more about the world they really live in.    

There are many classes relating to social studies that are important for students  to take such as civics and government, economics, geography, history and student interpersonal skills. Social studies also helps young people develop the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world.