German Club sells Advent calendars to ring in the holiday season

Emily Smith

From the beginning of this month until the holiday break, the HAHS German Club will be selling Advent calendars to celebrate the holiday season German-style. The calendars feature authentic German chocolates that follow the 24 day period leading up to Christmas day. The calendars are on sale for five dollars, which is a significantly reduced price compared to grocery stores in the area. They feature two different designs, with one featuring Santa’s sleigh and the other a Christmas tree adorned with presents.

Vice President Jacob Engel is excited about selling these calendars as a festive way to raise money for the club. “We decided to continue the tradition of selling the Advent calendars because the German Club has been selling them for years,” says Engel. “We are selling a total of 192 calendars,” says the VP. “I love making money for my club, so I’m excited to sell these to Hamburg students.”

Austin Gould, member of German Club, is hoping that all Hamburg students purchase a calendar to raise money for a band to visit the school. “We are trying to raise money for Alex Meixner’s band to come to the high school,” says Gould. Not only should students purchase a calendar to support this club, but to also celebrate the holiday season in a traditional way. “Advent calendars were first used by people in Germany, so a specifically German advent calendar adds that little bit of authenticity,” says Gould. 

Talk to a member of German Club to purchase an Advent calendar and celebrate the holidays by beginning a new tradition.