Teacher spotlight: Mrs. King

Hannah Kristiniak, Hawk Happenings Assistant

This year will be Mrs. King’s 14th year teaching at the Hamburg Area School District. She taught kindergarten through grade five at Tilden Elementary teaching for five years. From there she went and taught for four years at the middle school. For some time after that she went back and forth between the middle and high school to teach, but now she has been teaching for three years fully at the high school. Mrs. King teaches Spanish 1, Spanish 2, and she helps students that do not speak English learn English.

Mrs. King states, “I wanted to be a Spanish teacher because I enjoyed my Spanish classes in high school and the language came easy to me.” She also mentions that her mom was a teacher, so she felt teaching was in her blood. While in college she realized that she enjoyed sharing her knowledge with students and watching them improve. She also says, “There’s nothing better than that “Ah-ha” moment when you know the student has got it.”

Mrs. King is from Honesdale, Pennsylvania and went to Lebanon Valley College. While she was there she was in track and field, and tennis. While teaching at the high school she obtained her master’s degree from Wilkes University.

Some of Mrs. King’s hobbies include reading, crocheting, and most recently running. She has competed in around six 5K runs and a five mile race. She enjoys spending time with her daughter and husband, Mr. King. Mr. King and Mrs. King both enjoy ‘Star Wars’ and they happened to get a cat named Leia.

Heaven Lee, a sophomore at HAHS, was a student in Mrs. King’s class last school year. She states, “I enjoyed her class because she would allow us to work together on papers and projects.” Heaven also says that Mrs. King is a fun teacher and she would sing, dance, or make jokes at times.