Freshmen adjust to high school

Paige Cassler

Freshmen adjusting from middle school to high school is never easy because of students, bigger building, more classes. Some freshmen are excited for the change from middle school to high school, but then there are a handful of freshmen who are nervous about the change. They are mostly nervous about getting lost and being late. I did not mind the change from middle school to high school. I know some people who were really nervous and scared about the change until they got to high school and realized it was not scary.

Kaylee Fornwalt said, “The change was pretty drastic and I was nervous.” She was not scared but she was nervous about the bigger school with getting lost and then being late to class and higher expectations from the teachers. Kaylee’s perspective on having lunch and other classes with other grades did not bother her. She did note some positive aspects like meeting new teachers and sometimes having teachers again from previous years as we move up grades. She was “excited to start high school because you get more freedom such as having our phone in class and sometimes being able to use it and more responsibility.”

Jahslynne Clark said the change did not scare her. “It did not bother me because I am friends with highschoolers.” She was not scared or nervous. She was actually fine. She was not nervous about teachers, classes, or moving classes more. The only thing that kind of bothered her was getting more work than she did in middle school.