David Behm performs in musical

LeeAnn Mills

David Behm is a current senior in the Beauty and the Beast musical. This is his fourth year in musicals and all years he has had significant roles. Mrs. Jackson said that his previous roles were fatherly, and this year will be a refreshing change. Such a change will come in the villain of the story, Gaston. David described this change in roles as finally being a “true antagonist.” He also expressed his excitement and hesitance about the role, saying it is “so weird playing that role.” He says that such a chance to play a prominent role in every musical was a “one in a million chance” and he is extremely grateful for it. 

David’s story regarding how he joined the drama department his freshman year, he deems purely coincidence. The Behm family had been encouraging David to go out and try it, but he doubted it due to the negative stigma around boys in the department. One day he was walking to the drama sign-up and was beginning to turn around when he encountered Mrs. Jackson. She encouraged him to give it a go and see how he liked it. This event changed David’s life. 

Throughout his freshman year, he discredited his ability in singing and acting, yet Mrs. Jackson never gave up on him. She reassured him and told him to join the choir and eventually Aerial Boundaries. David decided to continue this into his sophomore year because why not. 

For the duration of David’s early education, he admits he was not the best student, but his passion for acting and singing has given him direction. Before musicals, he used to be awkward and nonsocial, but he described musical as an experimental trial giving him social freedom. Acting made him who he is, he described having “no idea where I would be if I decided to walk away.” From the start to the end of his high school career in acting, he has made so many friends and is glad for his chance encounter with Mrs. Jackson.

As acting has become a hobby of David’s he has no plans of stopping after high school. He has plans to go to Bloomsburg and join their Drama Society. David is excited about this new chapter and said he has “had more than enough fun.”