Band sees increase in members

Riley Mohn

Mrs. Kline has been teaching bands for the past nine years in Hamburg, but she was not originally teaching the  schoolers and middle schoolers here. She was originally hired to teach Kindergarten through fifth grade in Hamburg, not just for the band, but the choir as well. She only taught the band and choir position for one year, and moved to middle school and high school the next. She started teaching at Hamburg in 2013. During her high school years in Hollidaysburg, undergraduate years in Penn State, and her Master’s Oboe Performance in Temple University, she has loved music since she was a student and wanted to teach music professionally just like her teachers did. She also first started teaching marching band back in 2013 as well in Hamburg. 

Mrs. Kline believes that there has been an increase in the number of students in band, and she knows that Mrs. Freeman, the band instructor for 4th, 5th, and 6th grade in both Perry and Tilden Elementary, has helped recruit more band students. Mrs. Kline and Mrs. Freeman work together as much as they can, and they try to keep band students as interested as possible. Last year, there were only 45-50 students playing band in high school, but this year there are 60 students in the high school and approximately 70 in the 7th and 8th grade band. Mrs. Kline’s band has been growing in numbers for a while, and there is more room to grow. As well as teaching music and performing musc, they also include fun field trips like Reading Royals games, Christmas caroling, and a Hershey Park trip at the end of the year. If anyone decides to join band and is interested in learning to play an instrument, just email her at [email protected] 

For more information on Mrs. Kline:https://hamburgareabands.weebly.com/about-mrs-kline.html