Students enjoy new water filling stations

Bethany Stufflet

Before the summer of 2022, students here at Hamburg Area High School, could not fill up their water bottles throughout the day. Instead, they either had to try to fill it up with the water fountains or they had to buy water from lunch to fill their bottle. As school came around again, students noticed that the water fountains were updated. They noticed that instead of just having a normal water fountain to drink from, there was now a water filling station. The new water filling stations are also regular water fountains, so it can be used to either drink straight from the fountain or fill up a water bottle.

Rhonda Kilner, head custodian at HAHS, explained why the stations were installed by saying, “For sanitary use, and to encourage students to bring their own bottles to fill.” I also asked how she thinks it affects the students. She said, “It has a positive effect on the students. It provides fresh filtered water for everyone.” Having these water filling stations provides another source of water, since the only water provided at school is bottled water from the cafeteria. I was told that it is an Elkay water fountain and it was purchased from Grainger, Inc. 

John Sharp, a freshman at HAHS, is happy about this change. He said, “I think it is very convenient and nice to have that option.” Maisie Weeks, another freshman who has used the water filling stations already, thought the water fountains were very nice and convenient. 

I also think it is very convenient. It gives more students that option to fill up their water bottles and as a student that brings a water bottle everyday, I think it is very important to have easy access to fresh filtered water and have a place to refill my bottle.