Profesional Field Experience offer students expansive career insight

Emily Smith

Professional Field Experience (PFE) is an opportunity for students to experience the real-world by interning with a company aligned with their career interests. The goal of a PFE is to develop the skills a student may need for their future profession. Spending time in the workforce or with a mentor allows students to get an idea of what their future could look like once they graduate high school. Hamburg offers PFE experiences to students who are interested in the arts, communications, business, finance, information technology, engineering, industrial technology, as well as human and social sciences. 

This school year I have decided to participate in the PFE program to better understand the world of communications. Interlace Communications, located in Hamburg, has given me incredible insight into what my job could be in the future. My mentor has shown me aspects of website design, how to properly work with Google, blog writing and posting on social media. I have gained a better understanding as to what digital marketing and advertising is all about. Not only has this experience shown me what my future could look like, but also what I want it to look like. After interning for a few months, I have realized that blog posting and the writing aspect of communications is what I enjoy most. I now have a better direction regarding what area of communications I would like to pursue. Without my internship at Interlace Communications, I may not have discovered what I am truly passionate about. 

Another Hamburg senior, David Behm, has taken advantage of the PFE opportunity by becoming an apprentice with Mr. Kline. Just like Mr. Kline, David plans on becoming a history teacher after he attends Bloomsburg University. When asked about his PFE experience as a whole, David replies “My job as Mr. Kline’s TA/PFE has been nothing short of simply fantastic! I have learned the ropes from classroom atmosphere, attitude, and social chemistry with the students!” Behm agrees that the PFE experience is one that has truly benefited his career decisions and pathways. “It has made my life 1 million times easier as now I am aware of what I am going to sign up for in college. TA/PFE’ing is incredibly important for understanding your job of interest” says Behm. David took AP United States History with Mr. Kline during his junior year, so he was already inspired by the skills of his teacher, therefore prompting him to choose Kline as his PFE mentor. “I plan on hopefully finding my own curriculum but plan to keep the ‘Kline Khem’ or social chemistry I observed so that my students would maintain focus and possibly be excited” says David. David is excited for his opportunity this year and simply “can’t wait to get started!”

The Hamburg PFE program is truly a wonderful chance for students to experiment with their own future. Gaining an understanding of the workplace while in high school is great preparation for life as an adult. 

For more information or questions about the PFE program, contact a HAHS counselor.