Kline creates murder mystery experience

LeeAnn Mills, Hawk Happenings Assistant

Friday, March 3, the 1920s murder mystery speakeasy was held and organized by Mr. Kline during periods seven and eight. The event was held in the library and the doors were guarded by bouncers who requested a password upon entry. “No password, no entry,” was the phrase of the day used by the bouncers dressed in black suits and shades. Indigo Flamingo was the key to the high school bar this school year. 

In front of the glass room in the library was a snack and drink bar run by David Behm and Miss Stauffer. David handed out candy bars while Miss Stauffer sold drinks. Shirly Temples, mint lemonades, and Cherry Cokes were all created and handed out by Stephanie Perez and Alexa Burkey behind the drink table. Purchasing a drink cost one ‘Kline buck’, or fake paper printed currency made by Mr. Kline.

Gambling was a hot topic of the afternoon, with each person gifted five Kline bucks to start many people attempted to expand that wealth with luck. Many students, like Isha Kaur, lost all of their Kline Bucks but had lots of fun nonetheless.

The entire time while people were laughing, gambling, and drinking fun sodas, APUSH students were acting as miscellaneous 1920s figures. These students set out on an adventure to solve the mystery of who murdered Macarthur, the previous owner of the speakeasy, and Mr. Kline’s best friend. Different teachers, plus the senior student David Behm, gave hints if students talked to them: Mrs. Menning, Mr. McBreen, Mr. Buggy,  and Mr. Gaul. All of these people were in character just like the APUSH students. The most important hints were both from David Behm. If students talked to David, he said that the Communists, or reds, were the problem. The other important hint appeared if a student bought the fake dollar chocolate bar which had a note containing a hint about who the real killer was. 

Mrs. Menning hired Mr. Gaul to kill MacArthur! During the speakeasy Mrs. Menning was dressed in all red, alluding to the previous hint from David Behm. Not many people guessed correctly. Everyone spent their money gambling, rather than buying chocolate bars.