HAHS students visit Lebanon Valley College

Hannah Kristiniak

On February 3, 2023, eight students and Mrs. Jackson, choir director, went to an honors choir festival held at Lebanon Valley College in Annville, Pennsylvania. Ninth grader Michael Clancey, 11th grader Clayton Lash, and 12th graders Arianna Barata, David Behm, Jonathan Cabello, Anna DeAngelo, Jacob Galarza, and Cora Rodriguez went on the trip. Around 90 students from 20 different school districts attended this festival. 

The group arrived around 9:30 am and their performance was at 4 pm, and lasted around 25 minutes. The group performed five songs with one of the songs being in Latin! The choir travels to many different county and district festivals to perform music. Typically, students will receive the songs they will be performing ahead of time to learn, study, and practice before the final performance, but attending the honors choir festival is very special because the students have no idea what songs they will be performing until they arrive at Lebanon Valley College. They spend the whole day, including their lunch in the college cafeteria, studying and practicing their songs that they will perform for the first time just hours later. The director of the honors choir festival, Dr. Kyle Zeuch, taught the students the music and helped them learn the material.

David Behm, a senior who attended this trip, says, “I felt like it was a good opportunity to explore another college campus and make new connections with students from other schools.” He also says that this trip provided him with excellent practice trying to learn songs in just one day of time.