Red Ribbon week begins at HASD

Bethany Stufflet, Hawk Happenings Assistant Editor

Here at the Hamburg Area School District, we have many spirit weeks, pep rallies, field days, and other events, but one important event that we have involves red ribbons. Red Ribbon week involves red ribbons being passed out to all of the students. To bring awareness to and for educating students about the dangers of drugs. This year’s theme is “Live Life. Live Drug Free.” Red Ribbon week will be during the week of October 23-31. However, the high school does not participate in Red Ribbon. During this week, students will be learning about drug prevention by discussing the topic in school and teachers passing around flyers.

Mrs. Machamer said, “As long as I have been at Hamburg, we have not participated. It is typically a successful program at the Elementary and MS levels. The program at the high school level would take interest from student groups or clubs with staff members and involved community programs and parents.” This is very agreeable and explains why the HS does not participate. She also said that since it is a drug use prevention campaign it is “very vital in educating young people to not use drugs.”

She sees it as a campaign that “teaches children the dangers of drug use on their bodies and dangers of drug use as a lifestyle will hopefully discourage them from using drugs.” Mrs. Machamer also believes that “since it is recognized nationally, the more people aware of what wearing Red Ribbons means, can bring awareness to the campaign and again, encourage a drug free life.” I absolutely agree with all of her statements. When I was in elementary school and middle school, Red Ribbon week was a big deal.