Mr. Buggy Returns to the Classroom

Mia Kalbach

After two and a half years in the position of assistant principal, Mr. Damian Buggy revisits his teaching career. This will begin his 13th year in the profession here in Hamburg Area High School. With courses including US Military History and World Cultures, he states that he loves the department he is working in and that he missed having daily interactions with the students. 

When asked about what he believes is important to integrate into a curriculum in order to maximize what students take away from the course, Mr. Buggy places an emphasis on building skills outside of content memorization. He believes that developing the students’ decision making skills in particular is important because history is made up of the decisions that people make. Along the line of facilitating an enriching class environment separate from the content itself, Julia Bucheit, a sophomore in Mr. Buggy’s Honors World Cultures class, says that she would like there to be more student involvement in class activities. The content itself still holds significance though, as he favors teaching US Military History due to the importance of understanding the struggles and sacrifices of those who fought, as well as the intriguing politics behind different military maneuvers. 

Despite the excitement of this new shift, Mr. Buggy says that one thing he will miss about being assistant principal is working with the adults behind the scenes; the secretaries, guidance counselors, facilities, cafeteria staff, and also Mr. Beissel. Finally, Mr. Buggy says that his main expectation for the school year is for himself to remain flexible due to the ever changing circumstances.