Helpful tips for winter

Ashley Perlaki - 10, Business Manager

Ashley Perlaki – 10

Many fall victim to dried skin and cold feet during the winter months, but the worst culprit of them all is static cling. During these cold months many people will put on their favorite sweaters and use their favorite fleece blankets, but come to realize they are clinging in all the wrong places. Static cling by definition: is the tendency for light objects to stick to other objects owing to static electricity.

Although many people deal with static cling, many do not know how to fix the problem. One helpful tip to deal with static cling is to spray water on the part that is causing the cling. Another option is to apply lotion to the body before putting that article of clothing on.

Many are fortunate to only have static cling on articles of clothing, but some also deal with frizz and static in their hair. Most frequently curly headed men and women deal with frizz an

d static in their hair.

The students here at Hamburg Area High School have some tips to help with the static in the winter. I interviewed three ladies here at Hamburg High School who have some tips and tricks to deal with frizz. Johnice Rogers a sophomore here at Hamburg states “ I usually put leave in conditioner in my hair after the shower and braid it, so it is not so frizzy in the morning.” Mikayla Slichter another sophomore at Hamburg High School states “I usually put some leave in conditioner in my hair, brush it out and then mostly straighten it so it is not so frizzy and big.” Lastly Sarah Kramer also a sophomore at Hamburg High School states “I use colder water in the shower to reduce the static and I put a fabric softener sheet on my hair brush so when I comb through my hair the fabric softener reduces the static.”

Other helpful tips on how to deal with static hair are, after taking a shower or going out the door take a dryer sheet and run it through the strands of static hair. Many also use leave in conditioner or ditch a towel and use a cotton shirt instead. Although not a popular opinion an effective way to deal with frizzy hair is by running mayonnaise through the strands, or some might just look for a new hairdo altogether and get it trimmed. Trimming hair is also an effective way to reduce an excessive amount of frizz. Although it might be easy for many to fall prey to frizz and static cling, these effective tips will help many get through the winter months with hair that looks smooth and most importantly static and frizz free!