Commuting to College

Commuting to College

Sierra Fisher, Writer

Commuting to college is most often beneficial because it is an easy way to save money and reduce the debt owed after graduating college. Room and board prices can range on average between ten and twelve thousand a year depending on the type of college and the location of the campus. One of the downsides to commuting, however, is not being able to get as involved in the college experience. Joining activities such as clubs, sports, and Greek life can help integrate one into the campus and make lasting friendships at college.

There are many factors to consider when commuting to college including meal plans, where to park, and being prepared. When it comes to meal plans, some colleges require students to purchase a meal plan even if they are planning on commuting. Some colleges, however, have specific plans for commuters if they are not planning on eating at college every day.

It is very important to know where exactly to park when commuting. If running late, it is easy to have an assigned parking pass and know where to park. Parking passes are a very good idea when a college offers them, however it is important to keep in mind that most colleges require the application before the school year starts.
In addition to considering meal plans and parking passes, it is important for someone commuting to be prepared. Keep in mind who to call if one’s car breaks down.

Overall, commuting to college is worth it when it comes to saving money and lessening the amount of student loans after college, however, students still need to think about certain factors like meal plans, parking passes, and activities to get involved in around campus.