Hamburg students settle the debate : Starbucks or Dunkin’?

Hamburg students settle the debate : Starbucks or Dunkin?

Emily Smith, Pinnacle Senior Editor

High school students are always looking for a pick-me-up to give them a burst of energy during the busyness of the school year, whether that is their favorite energy drink, soda, or the most popular caffeinated beverage, coffee. Teenagers across the globe have become coffee obsessed as they experiment with all forms hot or iced. From cappacinos to machiattos, cold brews to plain black coffee, most teens drink this beverage daily, including students at Hamburg. 

Coffee connoisseurs know exactly where to get their favorite drink orders, oftentimes from local chains such as Starbucks or Dunkin’. These experienced coffee drinkers have strong opinions regarding which place is the best according to taste, price, and drink selection. Let us take a look at which brand wins. 

Iced coffee is huge among Hamburg students. It is pretty difficult to walk through the halls and not see someone carrying a large cup. Out of 120 responses to the question “Who has the best iced coffee?”, 80 students chose Dunkin’ (67.7%) and 40 chose Starbucks (33.3%). Although hot coffee is less popular, Hamburg students still hold true to their Dunkin’ preference. Out of 117 responses to the question “Who has the best hot coffee?”, 77 students chose Dunkin’ (65.8%) and 40 students chose Starbucks (34.2%). Clearly the Massachusetts-based chain reigns supreme in the coffee category. 

Besides coffee, each brand offers refresher drinks for those who are not looking for quite as much caffeine. Oftentimes these drinks are lemonade, tea, and water based beverages with sweet fruit flavorings. Out of 120 responses to the question, “Which brand has better refresher drinks (lemonades, teas, etc.)?”, 80 students voted for Starbucks (66.7%) and 40 students voted for Dunkin’ (33.3%). While Starbucks coffee may have fallen short, their other menu options make them the go-to for a more refreshing sip. 

Price also plays a role in the drink decision-making process, with 78 out of 121 students agreeing that affordability usually confirms their choice. For most orders, depending on the drink type, size, and any add-ons, Dunkin’ has historically been more affordable. Although it is not possible to determine which brand has the best quality because of specific drink preferences, 93 out of 121 students agree that Dunkin’ offers the best quality drinks for their prices. All in all, approximately 70% of students polled visit Dunkin’ more often than Starbucks, making it the more preferred chain among the Hamburg student body. 

Sophomore Amelia Gassert goes against the status quo and would rather order from the Seattle-based coffee chain, Starbucks. “People always choose Dunkin’ and I don’t know why,” says Gassert. “Starbucks has a better drink variety and menu with the refreshers and frappuccinos, and Dunkin’ just has coffee,” says Mia. “I would definitely choose Starbucks.”

No matter what chain is preferred, Hamburg students are certainly strong in their coffee preferences.