Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Kline

Sara Fitzgerald

Hamburg’s music department has received many compliments for the talent and beauty they perform. Megan Kline is one of the many talented teachers we have to thank for that. 

Mrs. Kline is the band director at Hamburg, who has been teaching at Hamburg since the fall of 2012, spending one year at Tilden, and she is currently in her tenth year of alternating between middle school and high school. Before teaching at Hamburg she was a long-term substitute for State College Area School Districts and then earned her master’s degree at Temple University. She loves the supportive community Hamburg has to offer. On cycle days 1,3, and 5, she is at the high school with the 9-12th grade band students and her theory class. On cycle days 2,4,6, she is at the middle school with the 7th and 8th-grade bands. 

Mrs. Kline became a music teacher because she has always enjoyed all kinds of music and wanted to give back to students and support them in the same way her music teachers always supported her. “ I am inspired by any musician who works diligently, artfully, independently, and creatively on their craft!” Mrs. Kline commented when asked about her musical inspirations. She loves watching the progress and growth of her students as she watches them begin music and say goodbye. Her favorite instruments are the oboe and the piano, and Mrs. Kline believes “music is a connector.” Music is completely universal, everyone can enjoy the same instrumental music and understand it, even when coming from different parts of the world.