Students discuss snow days and virtual days

Amelia Gassert, Pinnacle Sports Editor

HAHS decided to have a snow day right before winter break. Which shocked everyone, since most schools nowadays have virtual days instead. Most schools believe it is easier to have a virtual day because then the day does not have to be made up. Students at HAHS have different opinions than others. 

Most students at HAHS would prefer to have a virtual day so then that day does not have to be made up later in the year. Hailey Quinn, HAHS sophomore, said, “I would prefer to have a virtual day because even though we have to do work it is typically easier, and we don’t have to make up the day,” showing that for some students it is easier to just have the day and get it over with. 

Erica Gerner, HAHS sophomore, also would rather have a virtual day, and she said, “I will not have to make it up the next day and it is relaxed,” reiterating that it is the best solution. Having a virtual day still allows teachers to get work done with their students, but it also lets students still have a relaxing day in the comfort of one’s own home. This allows for students to have easy access to supplies and bathrooms, so one would not have to disrupt class to go. 

Although having virtual days has many benefits, there are still negative aspects. Hailey Quinn said, “I dislike having to stare at a computer screen all day,” highlighting that it could start to hurt the students’ eyes depending on how long the school day is. A lot of students will tend to have a headache after the school day and it could start to damage the eyes. 

Erica Gerner also agrees with Hailey Quinn by saying that having to stare at a computer all day can start to hurt many students’ eyes, causing headaches.

Overall, many students at HAHS believe that having a virtual day is the best option, but some students still would prefer a snow day due to being able to relax and have time with themselves.