Community celebrates sports

Grace Cromyak, Hawk Happenings Assistant

All of the dedication and the time that students themselves put into sports is incredibly outstanding. When it comes to attending to practice on time, doing the regular routines, and having the correct equipment, these athletes are putting their time and money to show dedication to their sport.

Leading up to that, these students are shown recognition every year by the Hamburg Sports Parade held in our town of Hamburg. Students from each sport are driven by local firetrucks from Berks county, as the streets fill up with citizens from in town. “The goal is to always make sure the community feels included and welcome in the events of our students and athletes,” quoted Brad Valentino, the organizer of the homecoming sports parade.

Working on the idea of the parade can also be a struggle, planning when it will be, and predicting the weather. Including the issue of the firetrucks incase of an incoming emergency, athletes would need to get off the trucks so the firefighters can proceed to their duty. “Unfortunately schedules never align perfectly and some teams are unable to participate from time to time. We do our best to accommodate everyone when possible,” stated Brad Valentino.

Although there may be struggles planning the parade, there are good outcomes to it and towards the students. “The sports parade was fun. I think it is a very nice tradition. The biggest thing when committing to playing a sport is dedication. When you say you want to play the sport, practice like you want to be the best at the sport,” stated Sophmore Erica Gerner. Showing dedication really shows that you are putting in your best effort possible, and it shows a lot to people surrounding you. “Dedication is important not just in sports, but with every task you take on in life. Dedication shown now, will help determine your path well beyond high school,” declared Brad Valentino.