Students share feelings about first day of school

Alicia Gilbert

As the 2022-2023 school year started, many students had different feelings. Some people were sad to say goodbye to the freedom of summer where others like being in school and having a set daily routine. Others like to be on their own and be free so they do not like the feeling of being held back because of a schedule. Students also like to see their friends and sometimes they can not hang out with them over the summer, so coming back to school lets them reconnect with people. On the other hand some students do not like being around a lot of people so they are nervous to be at school. 

Cashlin Dietrich, a sophomore at Hamburg said, “I really liked the first day of school, I had a lot of fun and I have all good teachers too.” It can be very intimidating to be a new student so when asked about her first day at a new school Cheyenne Oswald said “I was really nervous but it turned out to be a good day and I liked seeing and meeting new people.” 

Cheyenne was previously going to school in Kutztown so this was a huge change of pace when she came to Hamburg. I noticed many students were nervous coming into school but soon realized that it was not as bad as they expected. There are many reasons people may be nervous but the main ones were using lockers and getting lost in the hallways. There was also a lot of excitement because there is a lot more freedom this year and students are happy to see friends again.