Dr. Arnold speaks at Hamburg Area High School

Lauren Shebby, Pinnacle Sports Editor

On Tuesday, March 19, Dr. Andrew B. Arnold from Kutztown University visited Hamburg Area High School to educate students about the U.S. Constitution and its significance. Specifically, he spoke about the 14th Amendment in great detail and explained college life to students. Dr. Arnold is a Department Professor and Chair. He earned his B.A. at Hampshire College and received an M.A. and Ph.D. at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. At Kutztown, his courses include: History of Pennsylvania, Selected Topics in History Honors Linking U.K. and U.S. History, Work and Workers in American History, Constitutional History of the U.S., Selected Topics in History: Coal and Railroads, and Selected Topics in History: History of the Bill of Rights. Dr. Arnold also received the History Club’s Professor of the Year Award, the May 2010 APSCUF KU Inspirational Professor Award, and the 2015 Chambliss Faculty Research Award.

Invited by Mr. Kline, Hamburg’s American Cultures and AP U.S. History teacher, Dr. Arnold also previously taught Mr. Evans, a World Cultures teacher at Hamburg, and Mr. Werkheiser, a well-known history substitute in the Hamburg Area School District.

Dr. Arnold humorously introduced himself, explaining that he was a professor at Kutztown, sporting a burgundy cap that said “Kutztown Prof.” across the front. He briefly mentioned his 19-year-old son, explaining that he understands the struggle of adjusting to a new institution. Dr. Arnold described his teaching, saying that he likes to use more sophisticated hand signals in class to better communicate. He also added that he believes students are too passive and should become more assertive and ask more questions.

Frequently throughout the seminar, Dr. Arnold paged through his own book that he wrote, A Pocket Guide to the U.S. Constitution, referencing parts of it to lead the discussion. Dr. Arnold touched on many cases involving the 14th Amendment, including the Slaughterhouse Cases in 1873. He described how Americans argued against common sense laws and judges like Samuel Miller used a narrow interpretation of the 14th Amendment to support multiracial legislatures and to convey the purpose of the 14th Amendment. “That’s how the 14th amendment loses a great deal of power.” Dr. Arnold said.

“It provided me with a different perspective,” Cameron Madara, a Hamburg senior, said. He adds, “I appreciate Dr. Arnold’s effort to come to our school to give students an idea of what a college class is like.”